- This event has passed.
Global CBDC Challenge – An impact making opportunity not to be missed
July 13, 2021 @ 6:00 am - 7:00 am PDT
A retail Central Bank Digital Currency (CBDC) built for next-generation financial rails has the potential to increase payments efficiencies, improve financial inclusion, and support the broader digitalisation drive in the economy. Central banks worldwide are thus actively exploring issuance of digital currencies, and are confronted with a wide range of policy and technology challenges.
Last week, the MAS, together with IMF, World Bank, ADB, UNCDF, UNDP, UNHCR and OECD launched the Global CBDC Challenge, which is open for applications until 23 July.
Join us in this episode of the Green Shoots Series as guest speakers from IMF, World Bank, Hyperledger and MAS talk about:
• The genesis of the Global CBDC Challenge and the gaps it seeks to address in the retail CBDC space
• Motivation for retail CBDC and policy consideration
• Technology considerations and design trade-offs in implementing a retail CBDC
• What can the industry expect out of the challenge
• Tommaso Mancini Griffoli, Deputy Division Chief, Monetary and Capital Markets Department, International Monetary Fund
• Brian Behlendorf, Executive Director, Hyperledger
• Ahmed Faragallah, Senior Financial Sector Specialist, World Bank
• Moderator: Sopnendu Mohanty, Chief FinTech Officer, MAS